We’ve all purchased “miracle” beauty products that claim to fight wrinkles, plump up our skin and make us look younger. But do they really work? Can we have powerful anti-aging beauty products without harmful preservatives and other toxic ingredients?
The key to finding natural beauty products worth the splurge is to look for certain ingredients in amounts high enough for them to be effective, while continuing to avoid harmful ingredients.
In a recent article on Mind Body Green I wrote about 5 ingredients that have been scientifically shown to change and improve our skin. Where can you find high-quality, natural products that contain these anti-aging ingredients?
Here’s a roundup of natural products with these 5 power ingredients.
1. Coenzyme Q10
Our bodies naturally make CoQ-10 to neutralize free radicals in cells, but we make less as we age. Adding CoQ-10 to your beauty routine can help combat signs of aging, keep healthy cells looking healthy longer and also plump and boost the appearance of aging cells.
Products to try with CoQ-10:
- Acure Day Cream $19
- Mad Hippie Face Cream $26 contains CoQ-10 and green tea (anti-aging ingredient #5 below).
2. Hyaluronic Acid
Hyaluronic acid is a natural compound found in skin that helps hold on to moisture, encourages tissue repair and provides that plump cushioning characteristic of younger skin. A powerful anti-aging agent, hyaluronic acid helps plump up skin and alleviate fine lines and wrinkles.
Products to try with hyaluronic acid:
- Odacité Night Time Antioxidant Repair Serum $120
- Pratima Age Delay Serum $57 with 2 of the 5 anti-aging ingredients: hyaluronic acid and green tea.
3. Vitamin C Ester
As we age, our bodies slow down the production of collagen and elastin, which keeps skin strong, flexible, and resilient. The antioxidants found in vitamin C help stimulate the production of collagen and minimize fine lines, wrinkles and scars.
Products to try with vitamin C:
- Kypris Antioxidant Dew $67 with vitamin C and E. Kypris removed the Wheat Germ Oil, so the product is completely gluten free.
- Tualique Youth Recovery Serum $90: a concentrated serum that delivers immediate skin tightening, lifting and firming. The Youth Recovery Serum is a powerful anti-aging serum that packs a mega-dose of stable vitamin C plus a blend of peptides to kick start collagen production, hyaluronic acid to lock in hydration, extracts of green tea and more.
Ceramides are a type of lipid found in the membrane of cells. They help hold skin cells together, forming a protective layer that plumps the skin and retains moisture. Ceramide levels decrease as we age which leads to loss of hydration, less skin turnover and dryer more damaged skin. Replenishing the skin’s ceramide levels will help restore moisture and fortify the skin’s natural barrier, helping skin look and feel younger.
Products to try with ceramides:
- Mad Hippie Eye Cream $25 contains ceramides and white tea (similar benefits to green tea discussed below).
- Mad Hippie Exfoliating Serum $35 packed with 4 out of 5 anti-aging ingredients: ceramides, hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, and white tea. What a bargain!
5. Green Tea Extract
Tea is loaded with nutrients called polyphenols, which have been shown to fight free radicals.
Studies have found the ingredients in green tea can reduce sun damage and may protect skin from skin cancer when applied topically. Using green tea extract under sunscreen may provide an extra dose of protection. Polyphenols in creams and lotions will help slow signs of aging, reduce sagging skin and decrease wrinkles.
Products to try with green tea:
- Tualique Fabulous Face & Eye Cream $30 This cream is one of the must-have products in the Tualique line. It works as a facial moisturizer and eye cream all in one. A very powerful anti-aging product that is packed with olive leaf, white, green and rooibos tea to deliver a mega dose of anti-oxidants and peptides to fight wrinkles. I use this every day!
- Annmarie Gianni Anti-Aging Eye Cream $60 contains green tea extract, CoQ10, vitamin C and copper peptides.
- Beauty Counter Every Night PM Hydrating Cream $44 contains green tea extract and hyaluronic acid.
This is a great list to start adding powerful yet natural anti-aging products to your skincare routine. They contain the anti-aging “good guys”… but none of the harmful ingredients like parabens, PEGs, sulfates, DEA/MEA/TEA, siloxanes, Vitamin A (retinol), formaldehyde releasers, and BHA. These ingredients are associated with negative health effects and should be avoided. For help knowing exactly what ingredients to avoid, download this free Ingredient Cheat Sheet.
These products are worth the splurge to help you get your most glowing, radiant, youthful healthy skin ever. Pin this list to help you remember what to look for next time you shop!