Do you think natural, pure products are more expensive? They don’t have to be!
Have you every thought “I would love to change to natural, pure, organic products… but they are just too expensive!”
Sure, some products are more expensive. But that doesn’t mean you can’t find great, natural, clean products for the same (or close!) to what you are paying now.
So I decided to do a “Drug Store Challenge”. I searched the most popular personal care products on two top drugstore on-line shops (drugstore.com and amazon.com) and compared them with some of my favorite natural products from Live-Clear.com.
I think the results will surprise you! Read on to see how some of my favorite (reasonably priced) products compared to conventional drug store prices.
Disclaimer: Prices reflect on-line prices at the time of writing this article. Some prices may change slightly.
Drug Store Version: Pantene Pro-V Daily Moisture Renewal Shampoo $7.50
Ingredients: 19 total ingredients, 9 ingredients to avoid
Live-Clear Natural Pick: Acure $9.99
Drug Store Version: Dove Body Wash $8.99
Ingredients: 25 total ingredients, 9 ingredients to avoid
Live-Clear Natural Pick: Acure Body Wash $9.99
Drug Store Version: Eucerin 16 oz $11.99
Ingredients: 27 total ingredients, 9 ingredients to avoid
Live-Clear Natural Pick: Acure Organics Body Lotion 8 oz $9.99
Drug Store Version: Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser 8 oz $6.79
Ingredients: 14 total ingredients, 8 ingredients to avoid
Live-Clear Natural Pick: Acure Facial Cleanser 4 oz $14.99
Drug Store Version: Neutrogena Healthy Defense Facial Mosturizer SPF 30 $14.99
Ingredients: 33 total ingredients, 14 ingredients to avoid
Live-Clear Natural Pick: Juice Beauty SPF 30 $29
Drug Store Version: Softsoap Antibacterial Hand Soap 7.5 oz $2.69
Active Ingredients: Triclosan
Ingredients: 18 total ingredients, 10 ingredients to avoid
Live-Clear Natural Pick: Deep Steep Organic Foaming Hand Wash 8 oz $4.49
Drug Store Version: Colgate Total Whitening $4.39
Ingredients: 17 total ingredients, 5 ingredients to avoid
Live-Clear Natural Pick: Jason’s Power Smile $3.50
Check out the totals:
Drug store brands: $59.14
Live-Clear natural picks: $81.95
That’s $22.81 more for the natural versions. More, yes… but not breaking the bank!
Here are some other “totals” to consider:
Over the course of a normal morning applying the drug store versions you apply a total of:
- 5 Parabens: preservatives linked to endocrine disruption, neurotoxicity and cancer
- 3 Formaldehyde releasing preservatives: formaldehyde is a known carcinogen
- 5 Phthalates and Fragrances: linked to endocrine disruption and allergies
- 9 PEGs and “eths”: contaminated with 1,4-Dioxane, a known carcinogen
- 4 DEA, MEA, or TEA chemicals: hormone disrupting chemicals that can form cancer causing nitrates and nitrosamines
- 4 Coal tars: carcinogens
- 2 BHA and BHTs: endocrine disruptor and suspected carcinogen
- 3 Sulfates: eye and skin irritant, can combine with other ingredients to form carcinogenic nitrates
- 2 Triclosans: pesticide associated with endocrine disruption and antibacterial resistance
- 1 Retinol: may speed the development of skin tumors and lesions when applied to the skin and exposed to sunlight
- 5 Chemical Sunscreens: hormone disruption and allergies
- 23 additional chemicals with a “moderate hazard” rating or higher on EWG’s Skin Deep Database
That’s a total of 66 chemicals that are known or suspected to cause harm.
From only 7 common products applied before even leaving the bathroom each morning.
Many of the questionable ingredients show up in multiple products. That means you are applying higher levels of these chemicals over the day than if you used just one product in isolation. These higher levels of exposure have not been tested, nor has the combination of multiple chemicals.
The Live-Clear picks are free of all questionable ingredients. Check out the Live-Clear Shop for more recommendations.
Click here to view the full ingredient analysis of the drug store products, and which ingredients are of concern.
Have you downloaded the Live-Clear Quick Guide of ingredients to avoid yet? Print this guide out to easily identify questionable ingredients on product labels. Click here to get yours free.
So there you have it. The Live-Clear Drug Store Challenge. Making it easy for you to fall in love with truly natural, pure, products that WON’T break the bank!
Wondering if a product you are using has questionable ingredients? Leave the product name in the comments below.
Share this with your friends, and spread the word!